Building the capacity of staff is a key component of our program which ensures sustainability. We strongly recommend that staff complete the appropriate online training module outlined below. Face-to-face brief advice follow-up training is only available for staff who have completed the brief advice online training as part of a Make Smoking History project.
The online courses will help health professionals and community and social services staff to start conversations about smoking by using the 3-step brief advice model as a regular part of their interactions with clients or patients. It will also increase their knowledge of best practice tobacco dependence treatment, and what services and resources are available to support clients or patients to reduce and quit smoking. (Free for WA users).
- Community and Social Services
- Mental Health, Oral Health and Eye Health Professionals
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- General Practitioners & Primary Health Care Nurses
- Pregnancy and Maternity Health Professionals
- Hospital/Health Services (Recommended by the WA Department of Health for hospital/health service staff, click here for instructions)
Click here to register
Specialist training for pharmacists is also available on the my PSA learning portal
· Module 1: Smoking Cessation Brief Advice Training for Pharmacists
· Module 2: Nicotine Vaping Products
Contact Make Smoking History if you need help determining which course is most suitable for your work.
Face to Face training
Brief Advice training can be provided face to face or virtually. Where applicable and appropriate this training can be adapted to suit the needs of staff or university students who don’t meet the criteria for the online training.
For more information and to discuss training options and availability please contact Make Smoking History.